Saturday 10 February 2018

Graffiti

Gislebertus - Autun
I cannot name many places where a master builder, sculptor or stone mason, working around the year 1000 in one of the many Romanesque churches in this part of France has left his name or picture behind in one of his works.

Seguin - Ameugny
I can name only three: Gislebertus, whose name is displayed on the tympanum of the cathedral in Autun; the stone mason Seguin from Malay, whose name can be found on the tympanum of the church in Amegny and sculptor Gerlanus, who has an arch named after him in the abbey church St-Philibert in Tournus.

Gerlanus - Tournus
This arch is located in the St-Michael's chapel built above the narthex of the church. And not only did he carve his name in a stone; he also produced a rather labour-intensive selfie which can be found in the same chapel.

Gerlanus - Tournus
I must confess however, that I went back into that chapel three or four times because I knew that there was a stone with Gerlanus' name carved in it, but I had never been able to find that stone. But, as the saying goes, slow and steady wins the race.

For our own website click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment